Earlier this week my husband was out doing yard work with our dogs. He noticed our Lhasa was no where in sight and searched everywhere. He could here her tags jingling but could not see her. Finally, he looks up on to the roof of our two story garage and sees her sitting on the peak of the roof just watching him search for her. She never barked or anything…just watched him search for her frantically – do dogs get a good laugh at their silly humans…I think they must! We couldn’t love Lacey more…but she is hands down the naughtiest dog we have ever had!
Here are some photos of my latest batch of Christmas Presents. I had a blast decorating these. All six items were completed in one evening.
This was for my dad. I used a plain brown gift bag that I bought in a 10 pack at Michaels. I stamped the train, tracks (on the tag) and train ticket on with a Stampers Anonymous stamp set. I used Archival Ink to stamp them on to prevent smudging. I applied Black Soot Distressed Ink to the whole front of the bag with a sponge to give it an aged look. I used tissue hat looks like old newsprint in the bag and tied with a some ribbons I had around the house.
Again, this started with a plain brown bag. I used a large music stamp to cover the whole front of the bag (I used Archival Ink). I also used the music stamp to stamp the flowers, tag, and the ribbon to tie it all together. I added color to the bag with Distress Ink – the colors I used were Vintage Photo all over the bag and Black Soot on the edges. I added wood buttons in the middle of the flowers.
For this package I started with plain 3M postal paper. I always cut my paper to size before I decorate. I used a Stampers Anonymous snow man stamp placed randomly on the paper; again I used black Archival Ink. I used two Copic markers to add a small amount of color – coloring in just the holly and berries on each snowman hat. I tied it up with twine, ribbon and a bell. I added a metal snow flake whimsy to the tag. The tag is shaded with Black Soot Distress Ink.
This was a small package so I took the time to emboss the snow flakes on. I used two different snow flake stamps and a mix of white and silver embossing powders. I sprayed the whole sheet with a bottle that was a mix of Perfect Pearls Mist and Black Soot Distress Ink. Tied with ribbon and a bell. The tag is stained with Black Soot Distress Ink – I sponged it on (after I had embossed) and then sprayed with water – which removes the ink from the embossed images – really cool effect.
Again, I started with plain 3M paper. I stamped a large music stamp all over the pre-cut paper. I stained the paper with Vintage Photo Distress Ink (sponged on). I added a small strip of burlap to the middle. The flowers are cut from sheets of music that I ran through a Sizzix Die. I stained the flowers with Distress Ink and sprayed with Perfect Pearls Mist. I made the tag to match with the music stamp, stain and Perfect Pearls.
On this package I left the paper plain. I cut a piece of burlap to fit the gift and stamped it with Pigment Ink (the only ink I can get to look nice on burlap). I added the rhinestones to each stamped flower- blued on with Beacon’s 3 in 1. I made the tag to match. I stained it with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink and used a Noel stamp with Archival Ink.
I did all six of these packages in a few hours and really stuck to a handful of supplies; 3M Paper, Archival Ink, Distress Stain, stamps, burlap and ribbon – I think these lovely wrappings will go over well on Christmas Day!
I found this tissue paper that looks like old newsprint ads on the clearance rack at The Container Store – I knew immediately that it was destined for date with a jar of Mod Podge. I cut the ads out in separate pieces to do these projects. First I used a vase I had around the house and layered it with Mod Podge (Matte) and the papers. I did a second coat of Mod Podge. I let each coat dry for a day – I find the longer you let each coat dry the less chance of tackiness on your finished project . I always stick to less is more when I work with Mod Podge as well, it is easier to add more if needed than to try to work out bubbles. After the second coat dried I went over the whole piece with Distressed Ink (frayed burlap), let dry over night and then did a final coat of Mod Podge. I filled the vase with greens and twinkle lights.
I repeated this process for all the small candle holders. The first picture is an upcycled chandelier that hangs in my kitchen. I covered each candle holder in the same manner as the vase – I lit them up with tea candles – this is a fabulous mood setting in my kitchen. The vase and small candles are on our fireplace mantle.